Healthy Lifestyle Tips
A healthy lifestyle is all about making wise choices. By choosing wisely the foods we eat, combined with adequate daily physical activity, occasional sweets and treats may fit into our eating plan.
Eat a variety of foods – variety truly is the “Spice of Life”
- Ensure the majority of calories come from whole grain products, vegetables, fruits, lowfat milk products, lean meats, fish, poultry, nuts and dry beans. Remember to vary the foods chosen from each group!
- Choose fewer calories from fats and sweets.
Use fats sparingly
- Fats should not be eliminated entirely. Fat is an essential part of a healthy diet as it contains essential fatty acids and helps with the absorption of fat soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Most importantly choose healthy fats like olive, corn and canola oils. Limit hydrogenated which are high in saturated fats and partially hydrogenated fats, which contain trans fats.
Remember portion control
- Often times the portions you eat are larger than you think – accounting for 2 or more servings! With packaged items, always check the serving size on the Nutrition Fact Panel first. The nutrients listed pertain to the given serving size.
- One trick is to use a smaller plate – the portions will seem larger.
Get Active - Be Active
- Choose activities that you enjoy – you are more apt to stick with it!
- Physical activity should be of moderate to vigorous intensity to provide health benefits.
Encourage children and young adults - Be a role model
- Children tend to imitate the adults in their lives. Set a positive example by eating a variety of healthy foods – incorporate foods from every food group into each meal. Work physical activity into each day.